The Festival Organ

The Festival Organ was built in 1927 by Nicholson and Co specially for use at the Three Choirs Festival. The instrument is built on stilts so that its console is at the level of the festival platform. The whole structure rests on wheels and every three years it is moved one bay eastwards from its usual position at the west end of the cathedral so as to be level with the orchestra for the festival. At other times it is used regularly for teaching, practice, and concerts by Hereford Choral Society and others at the west end of the cathedral.

Festival organ specification