Characters from several hundred years of history will come to life in Hereford Cathedral’s guided tours of College Cloisters this summer. 

‘It’s a Vicar’s Life!’ is a light-hearted, living history interpretation of the lives and exploits of some of the colourful historical characters who have lived and worked at the cathedral since the Middle Ages. The guided tour takes visitors into College Cloisters, an area not usually open to the public, which was originally built towards the end of the fifteenth century as accommodation for the cathedral’s vicars choral – priests specially employed to sing the services. St John’s Walk, the covered way between the cloisters and the cathedral, was recently restored with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund. The costumed tour provides a light-hearted glimpse into the ups and downs of the vicars choral from the Middle Ages to their final meeting in 1937. Visitors may encounter a seventeenth-century vicar choral, James Reed; Nelly Pearce, one of the college laundrymaids; or Bishop Richard Mayew, who died in 1516 and is buried in the cathedral.

‘It’s a Vicar’s Life!’ tours take place at 4 pm on Tuesdays throughout the summer, beginning at the Welcome Desk in the cathedral and finishing with a glass of beer or apple juice in College Hall. 

Dates: June 20, 27, July 4, 11, 18, August 22, 29, September 12, 19, 26.  

Tickets cost £5 per person. Places are limited, so booking is essential. Please book in the cathedral shop, or phone 01432 374210