virtual tour

virtual tour  

Formed in 1932 in association with the Dean and Chapter, The Friends of Hereford Cathedral are a body of supporters who are passionate about taking a share in caring for the cathedral and preserving it for posterity.  

The Annual Friends Day is the focal point of the year when members gather to celebrate together. A full programme begins with Eucharist followed by a morning concert, lunch, the Annual General Meeting, a Festival Evensong in the cathedral and a tea party. Other activities include a Friends holiday, either within the UK or abroad, and copy of the Friends Annual Report.  It can cost as little as £15 a year to become a Friend of Hereford Cathedral, whose achievements in the past few years have included:

Hererford CoronaThe Hereford Corona:  The corona was given to the cathedral in 1992 to celebrate the ministry of Bishop John Eastaugh (1974 - 1990). It was designed and made by acclaimed silversmith Simon Beer, and the fourteen candles symbolise each of the deaneries of the Hereford Diocese. 




The North Porch GatesThe North Porch Gates: These decorative gates were commissioned and funded by the Friends to assist the Dean and Chapter with aspects of security and access. 






Chapter House GardenThe Chapter House Garden:  The 'Millennium Gift' was the repaving and planting out of the beautiful Chapter House Garden. The scheme included improved restaurant and toilet facilities and enhances this beautiful space for outside events, concerts and recitals. 




Choral Foundation

The Central Altar:  The design of the central altar table and rails reflects the Norman carvings on the arches of the cathedral nave. 






The Choral FoundationThe Choral Foundation:  The Friends of Hereford Cathedral have supported the cathedral's choral foundation by contributing each year to the costs associated with training and development of the cathedral choristers. 



College Hall

College Hall:  In 2003, to mark their 70th anniversary, the Friends funded the total refurbishment of College Hall to provide the Dean and Chapter with an enhanced hospitality facility.




Shrine of St.ThomasThe Shrine of St.Thomas of Hereford – the Cathedral’s medieval saint 2008  The Friends of Hereford Cathedral undertook a pilgrimage 2002-5 in the steps of Thomas of Hereford’s final journey to Rome in 1282.  As a result there was great enthusiasm for the re-furbishment of the medieval shrine base, and the Friends gave not only to the colourful fabric panels which flank the shrine, but also funded an altar, designed by Stephen Florence.

Shrine of St.EthelbertThe Shrine of St.Ethelbert – the Cathedral’s Saxon patron saint   2007  On the presumed site of the ancient shrine of St.Ethelbert, this modern re-interpretation is designed by Robert Kilgour, cathedral architect and contains icons by Peter Murphy, telling the story of our saint in vivid colour.





Friends CopesNew copes for  members of Chapter  Made by  Watts & Co of Westminster for the Enthronement of the Bishop of Hereford.  in June 2004.    In the Chapter colours of gold and blue.